Monday, July 04, 2005

It’s not a conversion. It’s an upgrade.

I had the most curious experience yesterday. A friend and fellow employee tried to convert me to Christianity. Of course, my angry young man days are over. Back in the day, I would have called him out, like I used to do Brother Jed and Sister Cindy the Disco Queen (there’s your Google search for the day). I didn’t. But, I did have to note the soft sell pitch that modern Christianity has adopted.Me: “Well, I’m an atheist, but my family was Jewish. My brother and I have discussed getting back in the faith.”Him: “Before you do that, look into Christianity. It has many of the same underpinnings as Judaism…”Me: (thinking): “Huh, same underpinnings …”So, evidently Christianity is sort of marketed as Judaism Lite with the same feature set but perhaps fewer bugs. I guess conversion by the sword is out. Now it’s just a race to gain market share. Now this gentleman was peddling the Lutheran brand Christianity so I can’t fault him, but the Catholic brand is sagging due to failure of their spokesman, John Paul II, to market to the women’s segment.New marketing plan time, or just wait for Christianity 2.0.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well, at least the guy was able to recognize that Christianity owes its existence to Judaism. While this may seem patronizing (such as the pope calling Judaism, "Christianity's older brother") the fact is, it's a whole lot better than the "other" ...and more common...christian tradition of absolutely dismissing Judaism, and Jews, as Christ-killers and yada yada yada, you know?

Guy Weknow said...

Quite true. See my latest post, where (at the risk of blowing my own horn) I comment on the interfaith struggles.